Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Ouch! Dang-it! What!!!

That about sums up my feelings. While hiking at a GEM family reunion with my dear Uncle Freddy, my summer plans were changed. I am now the owner of a pair of shinny silver crutches that I use to keep my cast from touching the floor. We did have a fun family reunion despite this being the highest number of real injures at one of our reunions.
The GEM (Gideon Earnst Marquardt) family gathered at Camp Myrtlewood, in Oregon, just west of Coos Bay. The weather was perfect, sunny days and some rain one night. The crowd wasn't big this year, mostly because we had to have it early in the summer to get the location and some still had kids in school, the economy didn't help either. There have been years our numbers were in the high 100's. This year was sponsored by Uncle Dres and family. We can always count on a relaxed, fun time with great food when they are in charge.
We played kickball, volleyball, softball, hiked, danced, roasted marshmallows, played cards and board games, talked about the good old days and of course had a talent show. Very few of us have any talent, but we pretend. It was great to get reacquainted and introduce the next generation to each other.
Kim came for one night and Kassey, her girls, Karly, Kloe and I were planning to be there for the whole time. After the first night Kassey realized no one would get any sleep without Will. Baysil wanted her daddy and she let us know about it for a while before falling asleep, but woke up at 6:30am with the same sad song. She was soooo fun during the day, that it was hard to believe she had a ruff night. She and Winnie were both fun trophies to have with us. Not wanting to have another sleepless night, Kassey caught the dad bus home while she could, but not before betting Karly she couldn't finish the remaining diet coke before the reunion ended. Karly won the bet and finished the coke, but I don't think she's had a coke since.
Karly and I enjoyed just relaxing and mostly visiting. We saw Kloe at mealtime and bedtime and a little bit in between. She was making great summer memories with cousins we hadn't seen in almost 10 years or more.
On day one the first two of the injuries happened while playing kickball, cousin Bruce dove into 1st base and fit cousin Pam (his sister) pretty hard, Ouch! pulled his hamstring Dang-it! and Pam crawled away with a compressed vertebrae, What!!
The next injury happen the morning of day three while Uncle Freddy and I  hiked up to Vista Point. He had already done it but was sure it wouldn't take as long with me since I am younger and in better health than Aunt Ruthie and Aunt Marietta, ohhoho. We got up to the top in good time despite the wet trail from the nights rain. Near the top as we were starting back down, I step on something small with my right foot that rolled and went down on my left foot that didn't move, Ouch! We heard a loud crack and realized it was my ankle. I then realized I still had a mile and quarter to hike back, Dang-it! With the help of Uncle Freddy's walking stick and his shoulder, I destroyed Freddy's hopes of finishing up in the shortest time. Karly packed us up and we drove home a day early with what I thought was a ankle joint that had partially dislocated and bad sprain. The next morning I found out it was a broken ankle, What!!?!
I am not thrilled about the fact that I am out of commission for most of the summer, but as of now I don't need surgery and I had a great time with my family at the reunion and we are having another reunion next year! Just a little silver lining.

No comments: